Thursday, June 7, 2012

AM transmitter

Homemade $5 2-Channel AM transmitter Although FM transmitters are a dime a dozen basically anywhere they sell anything (so you can pump your ipod/CDs whatever through any FM radio, like in your car). However, low power AM transmitters are a pain to find. Some digging on the net revealed commercially available ones for around $50, but I wasn't ready to spend that much. I built my own, with about $10 in parts (if you had to buy it all new, I had all but $3 of it in junk bins). My final design was a jazzed-up chimera of about 3 similar designs. I could only find a handful of simple ones online. I started with the version here at sci-toys.com . The basic idea is to run a signal through a crystal oscillator, which when output to an antenna, sends radio signals at a fixed frequency (in our AM band's case, 1.0 and 1.2 MHz).sci-toys.com Oscillators were purchased from Mouser.com for under $2 each. I added LED's, a switch, and 2 channels in case there's a radio station on one, or there's interference. I used the other half of my DPDT switch to control a single LED indicator. www.agileguitarforum.com However, there was a problem that caused the output from the antenna on one channel to influence the other one when both the antenna and ground are linked, essentially halving the power and causing both channels to always be transmitting. So, back to the drawing board, here's the final version that works like gangbusters: www.agileguitarforum.com Note: small transmitters must be kept ...

No comments:

Post a Comment