Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Saber build upgrade with ultrasound 2.5

Saber upgrade Decided to upgrade my previous US 2.5 saber with a red DPDT momentary switch and a rumble motor. Specs : - US 2.5 sound pcb (got this at the time they were still produced through JQsabers) - 6V battery (4 x 1,5 V AA) holder/speaker setup (JQsabers or TCSS) - rumble motor = these run at 1 to 3 Volts. I got those from JQsabers and judgesabersmith at FX-sabers. I tested some resistors in series for the 6V setup and came up with a 56 Ohms 1/4 Watt resistor. - DPDT momentary red illuminated switch from TCSS - saber parts : pommel, pommel insert, hilt, choke and emitter - Luxeon III amber main LED - Luxeon III 6° lens holder/lens - O-rings - kill switch Build log : I started the build with the idea of running the rumble motor directly from the L1/L2 solder pads on the US 2.5 pcb. For some reason this did not work because of a major voltage drop as soon as i connected motor to the US 2.5 pcb. Either L1 or L2 did not work. So i had to rethink my strategy for the rumble motor and decided to wire it directly to the main voltage supply after the kill-switch. This way it starts rumbling as soon as i unplug the kill switch. Not my original idea, but a decent solution nevertheless. Secondly, i now had 2 choices for illuminating the red ring on my DPDT momentary switch. I decided to go with the L1 on the US 2.5 pcb. L1 mimics the main LED on the switch. L2 gives it a idle flashing mode. The LED can be wired directly to the pcb so no resistor needed here. Cramming all of ...

No comments:

Post a Comment